From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 1:39 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Oleanders/hummingbirds--Hyacinth experiment/Amaryllis

As Ceres said, usual instruction is to discard.  2 reasons for Hyacinths:
First, they've used up all their stored energy for the current bloom and
have had no nutrients in the water to store up energy for next year.  That's
why, if you do plant it there is often no bloom that first year.  Second,
Hyacinths, even when planted directly in the ground in fall, often in a few
years revert to their ancestry and end up looking spindly compared to the
first time you saw them bloom.  These Holland-bred bulbs produce fat flowers
that barely resemble the species they went to work on.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5