Re: Pots, plans and floors?

Here! Here! I have two cast iron things that I use regularly--one to bake cornbread and a griddle-like thing to heat tortillas. We also have a 10- or 12-inch skillet, an ableskiver pan, and a corn sticks pan--none of which is used very often. Everything else is stainless, the kind that has an aluminum heat spreader encased in the base.

On Feb 24, 2006, at 5:36 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

And, there is nothing like them for making corn bread/sticks.
Bonnie ETN Zone 7

[Original Message]
From: Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey@mallorn.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 2/24/2006 3:20:30 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pots, plans and floors?

I used to swear by cast iron pots and pans, but lately I've taken a
to copper bottomed steel pots and pans.  Even if something does stick
with a little light oil it seldom does) all I need to do is soak for
minutes on low temperature with a little water and liquid dish soap,
and nothing is left. I've found it much lighter and when trying to run
gauntlet of 4 burly bulldogs around one's legs getting to the table,
for a "little person" is a big deal!
I generally use large stainless pans and stuff too, but there are some
times when you really want to use cast iron.

For example, I always sear steaks for two minutes on each side in a cast
iron skillet, then move them to the grill. It prevents the steak from
drying out and helps seal in the flavor of the sea salt and black pepper

Bill and I hope to use either stone or ceramic tiles on the kitchen
when we can catch up financially. My folks had tiny little mosaic sized
ceramic tiles laid in their house when I was in grade school. It
turned out
to be a lifetime floor and was one of the few thing that had to be
fixed or
renovated when we sold her house.  It does mean you need to pick the
and color so that you won't get tired of it, but boy is it durable!

I guess I won't discount it just yet. But linoleum sure sounds easy. :)

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10