Re: 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

> Has anyone gorwn 'Gold Tide'? It looks a bit like one that I remember from
> childhood- short but wide.

Hi Daryl,

   I haven't grown Gold Tide[TM], but if you're looking for a short but wide
   cultivar you might want to consider 'Courdijeau' (also known as
   Golden Peep[TM]).  It's the shortest forsythia on the market, topping
   off between 18-30" and spreading 24-36" wide.

   Gold Tide[TM] is probably too new to be the one you're looking for.

> I've given up looking for another childhood favorite that was perhaps 4'
> tall and weeping in habit at that size.

   Could it possibly have been Forsythia suspensa?  Although it can get
   large, it's a weeping forsythia:

      http://wp.hort.net/plant/forsu01

   That photo is actually from here in town; I'm planning on sneaking some
   cuttings this spring.

   There's also a var. sieboldii that has longer branches; here's one that
   was cut back regularly to keep it smaller:

      http://wp.hort.net/plant/forsusi00

Chris