Re: 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

Forsythia to me has always been vaguely hollow-stemmed, though I've never slit it lengthwise to view the chambers. Never paid much attention to pith color, either, except that the sprangly one that I eradicated here was lighter in pith than what I remembered.

Which is which?

And do you remember from your plant ID classes how to tell the danged Hollies apart?

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

One website lists Gold Tide as Forsythia x 'Courtacour' , another as F. x
It's definitely 'Courtasol'.

What I remember from childhood definitely had some suspensa in its parentage,
but was not nearly as large.
I couldn't think of any others offhand, so I pulled out Krussmann and
looked at his listings. The only possibility I see is F. x intermedia
'Mirabilis' (which is slightly nodding).

I was taught to ID Forsythia by pith color and whether or not it's chambered;
I don't suppose as a child you cut open a stem and checked? ;)