Re: 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

I think I'll have to butcher a couple of the volunteer Forsythia tomorrow, and check the nodes. F. x intermedia is the most common here.

Lucky you to only have a couple of Hollies to have learned. We have a bunch of Japanese, and Chinese, and opaca and glabra and vomitoria and waaaay too many hybrids to learn them all easily. . Glabra and vomitoria of course are no-brainers when in fruit. Nelly R. and Savannah are pretty easy, too. Oh yeah, and there's I decidua...
One of my hort-school buds said, "spend a summer unloading trucks and you'll know them (and the Junipers) all too well. "

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

Forsythia to me has always been vaguely hollow-stemmed, though I've never
slit it lengthwise to view the chambers. Never paid much attention to pith
color, either, except that the sprangly one that I eradicated here was
lighter in pith than what I remembered.
Actually, I misspoke.  It's the chambering at the nodes.  F, suspensa
is supposed to be hollow but solid at the nodes, F. x intermedia is
chambered and solid at the nodes, and F. viridissima is chambered all
the way through.

Which is which?

And do you remember from your plant ID classes how to tell the danged
Hollies apart?
We pretty much only had two choices here in Champaign-Urbana (zone 5b):
Ilex x meserveae and Ilex opaca.  I guess Ilex glabra, too, but that
was pretty obvious.  :)