Vet news

I made an appointment with the vet for this Friday because Mick has lost
weight and has thrown up what looked like blood a few times. He very
accommodatingly urped on the linoleum yesterday rather than the carpet
so I scooped it into a jar and ran it over to the vet this morning
before work. He said "bring him in now."

He has heartworm in his intestinal tract. I vaccinate these cats for
everything possible but thought heartworm was a pretty slim chance.
Fortunately, I had misunderstood the vet in believing heartworm is fatal
for cats. He says it's fatal if they treat it; the treatment kills the
cat. Instead they have a different course available, though it still
sounds like "treatment" to me. He'll get a shot of corticasteroids each
month for several months and then every other month until the worms die
off. And then he should be back to normal. So in June they are all going
on a heartworm preventative.

Here's a picture of my Mick:

neIN, Zone 5