Re: Vet news

It is transmitted by mosquito bite, I think. Vets used to give preventives only during the warm months, but now recommend year-round dosing. My cat and dog are on it, and I think it's supposed to prevent other parasites too, like whipworm and roundworm.

Maria in NE PA, zone 5b

Poor baby. How do they get heartworm?

He has heartworm in his intestinal tract. I vaccinate these cats for
everything possible but thought heartworm was a pretty slim chance.
Fortunately, I had misunderstood the vet in believing heartworm is fatal
for cats. He says it's fatal if they treat it; the treatment kills the
cat. Instead they have a different course available, though it still
sounds like "treatment" to me. He'll get a shot of corticasteroids each
month for several months and then every other month until the worms die
off. And then he should be back to normal. So in June they are all going
on a heartworm preventative.

Here's a picture of my Mick:

http://hort.net/+137n

--