Re: Donna/trip

Bonnie, that's amazing. My Dad and his wife went to Slidell, LA at Thanksgiving with THEIR Pastor Tom and fed about 300 people. Only had time to help one family, but Tom has been back and forth for weeks helping families get their houses under control. I feel so bad for those people.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:55 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Donna/trip

After going through all of Pastor Tom's Slidell Louisiana Mission Trip
photos, I sure believe it, Andrea! It looked like the only trees left
standing were the live oaks because of their interconnected root systems,
and even they looked badly battered. The photos he brought back were eye
openers. Folks are still living without shelter. He saw folks living in
card board boxes under overpasses, among other things. While there, they
managed to restore twenty-four houses and 7 or 8 rooftops.

Two photos were very interesting: one showed a completely destroyed dock in
Slidell; the other showed a single house at a doc end nearly in tact. The
story was that the house had been built before Katrina, but after the next
most previous hurricane to come through according to newer, tougher
construction codes. WOW! He said because there is so little trash removal
there is a major rodent problem there. Folks going back to their homes are
finding that wildlife has taken refuge in what was left of their homes,
including snakes. I really feel for those folks. Most of the green plants
I saw looked very young in those photos.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)