It's time for daffodils

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: It's time for daffodils
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:32:05 -0800

Daffodils are blooming! Only a few of my earliest, but there they are,
cheerful yellow blossoms near the teahouse garden. And the almond trees
in the area are in full bloom too.
We had a pretty nice weekend weatherwise, even if it did rain Monday.
Saturday and Sunday were okay at least. We did some work around the
animal pens Saturday morning, no more lambs yet, but the triplets are
getting very cute. They're a week old now and very bouncy - you let them
out of the pen and they go springing about the yard bouncing on all four
feet, and then they race off.
I went out to prune the rosebushes, ooops too late, they're already
leafing out. I have in the past pruned at this stage anyway but it sets
them back so much I decided they'd live without it this year. So I
fertilized the azaleas and my tea camellia, and then I raked leaves
again. This is the biggest drawback to having all those huge sycamores.
They don't lose their leaves till late in winter so you can't just rake
in fall and be done with it, and they are so big the task just goes on
and on. It was windy enough that I would rake a section and then half
the leaves would go skittering off, but I figured the half I picked up
would be that much less to rake again so I kept at it till the dumpster
was pretty full. I could have stomped it all down more but I was losing
enthusiasm due to the wind so I quit. I got my tomato seeds planted and
I'll do peppers next week. My chives are coming up in the vegetable
garden. I ordered onion plants to come in March, I probably should have
gotten them earlier - with mulch they would be fine right now.  Like
I've had time to go put them in, but after all if they were here I'd
have managed.
We went riding on Sunday, it was overcast but not cold, we went south on
the Pacific Crest Trail where it crosses not too far from my house. My
sister brought her horse and we went to the top of one mountain, nice
views, but quite windy at the top. The manzanita is blooming already and
we saw lots of plants starting to leaf out. You cross through a lot of
live oaks on that trail and we even saw a trickle of running water - a
nice training opportunity for my husband's horse. In fact there were
several training opportunities along the way, but no one fell off, so
it's good.  We'll definitely do that again although we did find a number
of ticks when we got down, yuck, but they hadn't managed to attach
themselves yet. Not something I've had to deal with before.
And then the long-promised rain on Monday. It may have been a half-inch
or more. It's so dry it all soaked in right away. Colder than we
expected, we saw snow on almost all the hills around us, but there's not
much left of it this morning.