RE: help needed

Auralie,

The show is an accredited daylily show by the American Hemerocallis Society.
There is horticulture (all daylilies of course) on-scape (Div.I) and off
scape (Div. II) with up to 13 sections in each division. Division III is
educational.  Division IV is design with only one section and three classes.
Each class must have 4 entries to be able to qualify for the Tricolor Award.
Judging for the design division is by National Garden Club judges. Judging
for the other sections is done by certified AHS judges.  There are 4 panels
of 3 judges to judge horticulture and one panel of three judges for design.

I was given a sample schedule by AHS, but the design element is left up to
the club.  I have not seen the NGC handbook. I have a National Council of
State Garden Clubs handbook from 1987! I may have to call a local garden
club to get some guidelines to support the rewording before I submit my
schedule. We want to leave the designs as open ended as possible. I would
very much like to use the most up-to-date wording, so I really appreciate
your help!!!!!!

The design rules specify "no weathered wood", so I'll drop the driftwood
phrase. I may have to order a handbook to look up the table-top design
information. I'll instruct the designers as to accessories being permitted.
Some of our designers will be doing their first designs in our show this
summer. In these designs daylilies have to be dominant. I'll have to ask
about reversing the section and class designations (1 vs. A).  I'll need to
check with the AHS national exhibitions chairperson to make sure it's
permitted.

Horticulture is the BIG event at the show, but I keep pushing design as it
makes the show so much more interesting!

Do you know of any design rules that are available on-line?

Thanks for all your help!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)