Starting mesquite seeds

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Starting mesquite seeds
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:19:57 -0800

I gathered up some seeds from the local mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa)
last year, found them while cleaning out drawers the other day and
decided to start them.  I read that they need either scarification or
treating with boiling water.
I haven't done scarification before but I'm thinking I would just rub
them on sandpaper a little. How would you do the boiling water trick?
Put them in a colander and pour it over, or soak them for a few minutes?
The website doesn't say how to do it.