To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what kind of mulch???

Thanks for the offer, but don't think I need any extra #!@% right now. There is shredded cedar mulch. I'm going to go by and give it a look tomorrow afterwork. Added bonus, it is cheaper than the bark nugget stuff. Now to try and guess how much I need...

Theresa

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
I've had really good luck with shredded bark, we buy it at the
landscaping place by the cubic yard. It spreads easy, does a good job of
holding water in the soil and looks nice for about 3 years. When we get
it I spread it about 4" to 6" thick. I have heard that you get problems
due to lack of nitrogen as it breaks down but I have not noticed that in
my garden. If you have a lot of small plants you have to be careful not
to smother them while you're spreading it.
Spoiled hay with sheep manure is really good for your soil, but looks
like, ummm, what it is and besides you might have problems finding it in
your neighborhood. But I'd be glad to donate if you want to pick up.
Free horse manure too, all you want. Give me a couple weeks notice and
I'll throw in 50 pounds of chicken poo.

Cyndi