Re: what kind of mulch???

I saw a demo of the glass mulch at NW Flower & Garden Show several years ago. Think rock mulch. It's the equivilent of coarse sand or gravel, maybe prettier, no dust to speak of, not a good idea for areas with automobile traffic. The good stuff is processed in some sort of funace to remove sharp edges. One application I liked was near a path with lights under the mulch. Gave some underlighting to small shrubs along the path & provided a little brightness to define the walkway. ----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what kind of mulch???

Yeah, that mulch made from old shredded tires is a beyond bad idea. It was introduced with great fanfare--until someone pointed out that it likely bleeds oil as it slowly decomposes in the sun. Much of it is also full of little bits of steel wire, another not-too-bright thing to put in the garden. I've always been marginally surprised that they didn't figure out some way to dye it red, too.