From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:45 PM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Lone Ranger

When I was a tot, I listened to the Lone Ranger [whose real name was
John Reid, and he was the uncle of Dan Reid, who was the father of
Britt Reid, aka the Green Hornet] on radio, Monday, Wednesday, and
Friday. As everyone--including those who never heard the Lone Ranger on
radio probably know, the show's theme song was Rossini's "William Tell
Overture."--all that to say whenever I hear the "William Tell Overture"
I get a pang of nostalgia for "the days of yesteryear," whatever that
meant.

Today, I received a CD recorded by Symphonia Fantastique, which,
apparently, is a group associated with the Indiana University School of
Music. What is truly unusual about this quasi-orchestra is that it is
comprised entirely of tubas, euphoniums, and percussion instruments.

The first track on the CD is the "William Tell Overture." I've never
heard--nor imagined that I ever would hear--this piece played solely by
tubas and euphoniums. Fantastique! Brought a tear to my eye.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10