Re: Lone Ranger

the memories. I received my very own Lone Ranger gun and holster set for Christmas ... all one piece... 2 holsters white leather with black trim and silver decorations. Pistols were all in silver with white handles. I had it for years.. finally disappeared in one of my moves some years back. If I still had that gun and holster set I could be out fighting crime to this day.... Rossini remains a favorite of mine ... roundabout introduction to the classics.
   Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana

Subject: [CHAT] Lone Ranger

When I was a tot, I listened to the Lone Ranger [whose real name was John Reid, and he was the uncle of Dan Reid, who was the father of Britt Reid, aka the Green Hornet] on radio, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. As everyone--including those who never heard the Lone Ranger on radio probably know, the show's theme song was Rossini's "William Tell Overture."--all that to say whenever I hear the "William Tell Overture" I get a pang of nostalgia for "the days of yesteryear," whatever that meant.

Today, I received a CD recorded by Symphonia Fantastique, which, apparently, is a group associated with the Indiana University School of Music. What is truly unusual about this quasi-orchestra is that it is comprised entirely of tubas, euphoniums, and percussion instruments.

The first track on the CD is the "William Tell Overture." I've never heard--nor imagined that I ever would hear--this piece played solely by tubas and euphoniums. Fantastique! Brought a tear to my eye.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10