Re: Surprise! You're dinner

Come to think opf it I have made a very good traditional Irish stew - which is lamb.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Surprise! You're dinner

You're probably right about the lamb-&-rice diet dog food.

About gamey taste, I think that's a myth perpetrated by persons who've never had it. I would include my father in that group. He used to dismiss "lamb, ram, sheep, goat, and mutton" as though they were foods no civilized person could cozy up to. As a consequence, I never had lamb until I was married. Now, all these years later, I've done my best to overcome that gastronomic ignorance. And mutton remains elusive, although I've had it a few times in Basque restaurants in Stockton and Merced and a pseudo English pub in Bethesda.

In retrospect, what I should have considered, when I culling ewes the sheep farm, was to send one of the meatier culls to the local butcher rather than the livestock auction. We fed them grass and the best alfalfa we could afford; they were likely quite tasty.