hostas/armadillos/arizona cypress

Our ground is never frozen for very long. Today started out as a very cold wet day but ended up cold but sunny and dry. I have been putting down new mulch and newspapers all winter long on good days. We have had an armadillo that is constantly working up my yard and digging under my newspapers. Making a real mess of everything. My son is home from college this weekend. I saw the armadillo working up my yard right out in the open this afternoon. My son took care of him for me. He does not like shooting anything but I convinced him he has been doing so much damage and I can't convince him to go somewhere else. When he went out to take care of it for me ... he said later it looks like he has done damage enough for 10 armadillos. I sure hope there isn't any more out there. We have never seen more than one at a time and only a couple of times have we seen him at all. He has dug 6-8 inch holes all over everywhere makes it hard to just walk across the yard. My son said that he was tilling up my yard for me. Not exactly what I want done right now. I went last week to the nursery to just look around and came home with 4 little seedlings of Arizona Cypress and a 5 gallon Juniperus osteosperma "Utah" Juniper. I have one very big Arizona Cypress and love it but I want it to be a specimen tree so now I have to find 4 more places to put them so they don't compete with each other. I have no idea where to put it.
Tricia
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] new cover

It wouldn't be a good time here as the ground is frozen. But generally, hosta can be dug just about anytime you can dig, spring or fall - even summer. They are very forgiving. My S&S was declining so I dug it last fall and potted the divisions, and then overwintered them in the pots under leaves. Every one of them died. This was strange to me because I have always done this and all my other hosta varieties have responded well. S&S is the only one that didn't make it. So when I divided another big-leaf hosta, Frances Williams, last fall, I replanted some just in case and potted some, not wanting to risk losing all of it.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>