Re: OT-Hard Decisions

Always a tough decision, pal--usually because the right alternative is the most wrenching one to take.

On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

Hi all-I've been hemming and hawing for months now about the health of my 12 1/2 year old chocolate lab Gracie, and I think I've come to the decision that it's time for her to move on. I talked to my vet last night and he agrees. I'm basically writing to vent. I feel guilty because she's still eating, happy to
see me when I get home, wanting to go on walks, etc. However, she has
thickening in her lungs that makes it hard for her to breathe, severe
arthritis in her spine, horrible allergies that make her itch and get
infections ( Always has) and has become basically incontinent from all of the prednisone she's kept on. I don't think I can take it any more. But, again, I feel guilty. My vet assures me that it's quality vs. quantity when it comes to a dog's life and the quality certainly isn't there. He was out of town today but will be in tomorrow and I'll probably take her tomorrow or Thursday. She's on pain meds right now to keep her comfortable. I am OK. Just feel like I have
a knot in my belly stressing over it. My oral defense in Texas is in 3
weeks-on the 14th of March. I am so stressed about school I could scream and just want it to be over. I think this is adding to my stress level of course. Then I've had someone quit at work and she's hemming and hawing about the date she's leaving and I'm about ready to tell her to just freaking go. She's holding up the rest of us. I was supposed to have a test in calibrations last week. I had questions for my professor which I emailed several times. Never heard from him and still haven't gotten a copy of the test, so that puts me behind in my pesticides class. I've moved on the next chapters that we are supposed to start studying this week. I need a vacation. Thanks for listening
all!

Andrea Hodges
Beaufort, SC

Island Jim