Re: GRAND EGGS!

Watch out when you try to re-home them. I had a quick answer from an ad in the Market Bulletin. When the guy grabbed them all by their legs, upside down, in bunches like bananas, I made him drop them and leave. The bloody cages in the back of his pickup truck reassured me that my instincts were right.

I wish I had enough land to have multiple roosters. One of my long-gone "chicken" friends used to have 5 or 6 running around over the farm. Each had their own harem, and their own piece of earth and she said they just didn't fight except for a little sparring in the spring. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. When I've had 2 or 3, it was a constant battle, and I had to keep them penned separately. Maybe if they had more ladies?

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] GRAND EGGS!

Yeh...I'm going to have to deal with that situation pretty soon. My old
rooster is realllly old (about 9 years old...which is old for a rooster)
and I would like to keep one of the new "doodlers" because he is SO
pretty....but I don't want them fighting. The young one would probably
kill my old one. I ended up with 5 doodlers out of the 13 new chicks.
Gonna have to find some homes for 'em.