February happenings

  • Subject: February happenings
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:18:00 -0800

We had rain last night and they say we'll have more today and tomorrow.
DH and I really ought to evaluate the animal pens and figure out
something that will keep the areas from becoming such a soggy mess every
time it rains. But it will be a major project to redo it all. If it
weren't for that I'd really be appreciating the wet.
I haven't ordered seeds or plants or anything yet this year! I have the
veggie garden planned out but I'll need to buy more row cover and
probably some leaky hose.  I was talking before about my cleared area by
a front window where we took out a huge pyracantha and a juniper; I've
decided against the prostrate juniper and am going to go with a few
types of yuccas.  Plus I have an assortment of semi-xeriscape
groundcovers circled in the High Country Gardens catalog and I'll buy a
bunch of those to see what lives.  I was looking for a giant fake rock
to cover all the sprinkler valves in that corner but they don't make any
that big. I might be able to do it myself with chicken wire and
fiberglass. Or maybe just a lattice in front of it would be good enough.

I'm not going to do anything else in the front this year except try and
clean out the leaves and weeds. Any bare spot I make I'm going to dump
compost on and just leave it for later.  The teahouse garden will need
maintenance too but husband can do that, he can distinguish plants from
weeds in there.
My Earlicheer daffodils are blooming and there's a couple blooms on the
vinca. It's about time for the white currant to bloom, and my ash trees
are apparently flowering too - I heard a loud hum as I walked under the
tree last weekend and thought that bee swarm must be back, but it was
just thousands of bees and bee-like insects busy gathering pollen.
The week after next we're thinking about taking the horses and going to
Arizona for a few days of riding. We'll see what happens, the two
remaining ewes are telling us they might be getting ready to lamb.
Husband volunteered to stay if it happens, but I don't yet know how to
tow the huge horse trailer and I don't have time enough to learn it
before we go.

Cyndi