Re: Happy Birthday Jesse

  • Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Jesse
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:33:21 -0500

The effects of smoking are long-term. Remember that it was close to a dozen years before every little thing didn't set off my cough. He may be being "good", except for the trip with his hunting buddies. The cough may or may not have anything to do with a slip.

It's amazing how strong the triggers are and how long they persist. The new science of addiction has found some scary stuff. It's amazing that any addicts (cigarette, alcohol, drugs) are able to break free. A lot of the early work included "socially" oriented users who could more easily quit. Social trigger are hard enough. Physical ones are a real bear. Some of the research has shown that a flash of a photo can trigger a craving in physical addicts that can be measured with a brain scan.