Re: OT: cell phones

  • Subject: Re: OT: cell phones
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:10:49 -0800

It is a whole other thing, isn't it? The change that's surely on its way--the end of paper. I worry about it, of course. Most of my most used and most useful books are not likely candidates for e-book status any time soon. And I think we will all miss newspapers in ways that are not obviously apparent; television, radio, and internet news would not be possible without newspapers because it is the Associated Press, which is jointly owned and fed by, as well as fed to, newspapers that is the real backbone of the news business--radio, television, print... and internet. It relies on both the input and output of news to survive, with newspapers providing most of the input and the parasite media--radio, tv, internet--paying for much of the output. It's an enormously complicated web that is driven, mostly, by reporters, as they say, "on the ground." Radio, tv, internet--they don't have reporters, they have news readers, news packagers, news sellers, booster, PR flacks. And most of them, because they are accountable only, at best, to their advertisers and, at worst, to themselves, they... but I'm ranting. Sorry. At ease; carry on.