Ruta graveolens

  • Subject: Ruta graveolens
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:28:44 EST

I have finally begun to think about spring plantings - it's been such a
depressing winter I haven't been able to make myself do it before now.
So when I began to look for two staples of my deer-resistant beds -
until last year, that is - I can't find what I'm looking for.  I remember
that I couldn't find any Rue (Ruta graveolens) last spring, but I had
a couple that had lived over the preceding winter.  It is not reliably
winter hardy here - so much depends on the weather - and this has
been an especially nasty season that I don't really expect they will
have survived.  I can't find Rue in any of my stack of catalogs, so I
went on line to look for it.  There is lots of the extract available from
herbal places (I never knew it was medicinal before - thought it was
poisonous) but I couldn't find any place that offered plants.  The other
thing I want but haven't been able to locate is Artemisia 'Powis Castle.'
Do any of you have a good source for these plants?