Re: Spring
gardenchat@hort.net

Jim, three weeks ago the quince beside my kitchen window was showing
color in its buds, and I discovered daffs and hellebores up a couple of
inches
under the mulch.  Since then we have had two bouts of extremely cold
weather - single digits at night and low 20s in the day.  Today is very
bright
but with a high of 22 degrees.  I'm afraid those early harbingers have been
lost, or at least haven't progressed any.  What I have noticed in the last
few days, however, is that the male goldfinches are beginning to look
yellow around the neck, and a couple have a few bright feathers on their
shoulders.  That has always been a positive sign of spring to me.
And the days are definitely getting longer.  That's the best sign.
Auralie

In a message dated 2/7/2010 4:15:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,