Satisfaction
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Satisfaction
  • From: "andreah" <andreah@hargray.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:27:42 -0500

I don't know if I told you all that I have an English ivy problem at the
house. Apparently, someone thought it was a good idea to plant it as a
ground cover some 30 years ago or more. It has grown up into a couple of oak
trees and is so long that it almost hangs to the ground. I don't know why I
didn't think of it when I moved in (lost my mind for a few?) but I started
researching how to get rid of it. It's right up there with Wisteria in my
book, Satan's vine. Anyway, I took a Sawzall (sp?)  to it back in December.
The trunks on this thing are bigger around than my arm and I don't have
small arms. Well, nothing happened. Again, I guess I lost what little
horticultural knowledge I had in the past 2 years. I talked to a tree guy at
a home and garden show and he said give it 3-4 months to use up all its
reserves. Guess what, every time the wind blows massive amounts of ivy
leaves hit the ground and I get a glowing sense of satisfaction from seeing
my yard covered with them. DIE!!!! MUUUHHAAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

The tree guy told me to call him once they were all dead and he'd come clean
up the tree for me. If I had a cherry picker, I'd do it myself!

The point is, now my totally shaded garden will get some much needed bright
light. I can hardly wait to see how much better the garden grows this year.