Re: A taste of spring
  • Subject: Re: A taste of spring
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 12:43:33 -0500

I was afraid of that when they said that Dallas got 6" when only 1-3 was predicted.

The NWS really blew it in a number of ways yesterday, it seems. Our good meteorologist said yesterday that he thought we'd have some sleet and snow mixed with the rain that was coming. He said that the National Weather Service has it as all rain, adding, "but they're not even seeing (or perhaps he said "reporting") what's happening in our region now. " And our crack meteorologist was right. Sleet started south and west of Atlanta fairly early, causing some trucks on the interstate to go belly up. We got a little more than a quarter of an inch of sleet mixed with snow, but fortunately, the roads were warm so it didn't stick, and then the temperature rose overnight so it changed over to rain.

It's a miserably cold, rainy day today. I needed to run to Wally World, so went out and wished I had done without. I am thoroughly frozen. Poor Miss Blackie wanted out when I took care of the chickens this morning, so I let her. She willingly ran back into the house when I was finished, and when I came home from the store, stayed on her perch by the window, even when I left the door open while I was carrying things in.

BTW, I normally avoid Wal-mart, in part because ours is one of those mega-ones, but it was the only local source for some of the things I needed. My knees were aching miserably from the arthritis, so I decided to use one of those electric cart jobs. I discovered a couple of things. One of them was that the "wind of motion" made things really chilly without the compensation of walking to produce body heat. The other is that they render one seemingly invisible to other shoppers, despite the fairly large noise it makes.

I just looked out and there are big, fat snowflakes falling again. Barf! This winter needs to end.