Re: lost??

That's the one, Jim.  When I was given this several years ago it was just
a large marble size.  Now it's about the size of a baseball.  I know that
sometimes they "pup" but so far this has shown no inclination to do that.
However, it does bloom pretty regularly.  The green viney top dries off in
about six months, but resprouts pretty quickly - usually just a matter of
days.  Then it grows so rapidly - two or three inches a day - until it gets
pretty filled out before it blooms.  I don't give it much care - just water
a couple of times a week and change its pot every couple of years - but
it seems quite happy in my kitchen window - west-facing where it really
gets very little sun but good light.
In a message dated 2/14/2011 4:21:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
inlandjim1@q.com writes:

Is that the fat plant Bowlea (climbing onion), Arualie?

On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:56 PM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

> Here in the Hudson Valley we have been encased in ice despite
> a couple of above-freezing days.  Our long driveway was sheathed
> with about four inches of ice.  Rain had fallen on the fourteen-or-so
> inches of snow and turned it into solid ice.  Today is warmish and
> it's beginning to break up a bid.  On the other above-freezing days,
> the surface of the ice thawed just enough to be really slippery and
> refroze as soon as the sun went down.  In my fifty-odd years in the
> area I cannot remember anything quite like it.  We've had deeper
> snow at times, but ever such extended cold and never this much
> ice.
>  We have been able to get out, with difficulty, enough to get
> essentials, but it's not been easy.
>  Add to our problems, both of our printers quit at the same time.
> How's that for a bad coincidence.  I ordered two online.  Mine came
> and I have it set up and working, thank goodness, but Chet's didn't
> come until a week later and he has not been able to get it operating.
> We have a technician coming to look at it tomorrow. Bummer.  We
> didn't need that.  I might have been able to make it work, but that
> would not have been good family politics.
>  On the positive side, my Boweia is blooming.  I know this is an
> odd taste, but I love the silly-looking thing, and I think it's tiny
> blossoms are charming.  Anything that blooms at this time of the
> year is special.  Oh yes, I also have an ancient Christmas Cactus
> in bloom, which makes another bright spot.
> Stay warm,
> Auralie

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley