I think it's spring
  • Subject: I think it's spring
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:06:42 -0800

The plum tree is in bloom and the buds are showing a little pink on the
peach trees. I have two or three yellow trumpet daffodils open and some
of the Erlicheer daffs are starting to bloom. Most of the rest will be a
while yet though.
On Sunday's hike we saw some patches of wildflowers; desert coreopsis
with a few tidy-tips and California poppies. It's not much, but still a
cheery sight.
Husband helped me move a ton of compost from the bins into the veg
garden, at least 25 wheelbarrows full. It's been sitting there for years
and finally looks rotted enough to use, although there is still
recognizable hay pieces towards the center. But in this climate, without
turning it or adding water, that's okay. I rototilled the whole thing
the next day and have planted my peas. I wanted to push the date up
again this year but just couldn't get organized. In fact, we were
supposed to be camping in Arizona with the horses but the weather didn't
cooperate - we really did not want to chance getting caught in the rain
out there so we stayed home. It rained Saturday at our house but Sunday
and Monday were decent gardening weather so I got quite a lot done.
Next weekend I'll start my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse.