Still crazy weather!
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Still crazy weather!
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:18:32 -0500 (EST)

Am I reading the calendar wrong?  Is it really still February?
It's  57 degrees here this afternoon, and this morning I picked
Snow Drops, Crocus, and Hellebores.  Daffodils are up 6-8 inches
and have swelling buds.  The quince buds have been showing
color for more than a week and are half open today.  There have
been a couple of cold snaps - it was down to  17 degrees on
Sunday, but didn't even freeze on Monday night - 34 degrees.

I keep telling myself not to remove the leaf mulch on my
perennial beds, but it's hard not to do it.  I keep remembering the
"April Fool" snow storm a few years ago that caused us so much
damage.  Oh well.

Last year I couldn't plant peas on the traditional pea-planting day,
St.Patrick's Day, because the garden was still snow-covered and
the ground frozen. This year I could plant them any day because
the ground has never fully frozen.  Should I stay with St. Pat's?
Or try for an early start?

Auralie