Re: Still crazy weather!
  • Subject: Re: Still crazy weather!
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:12:20 -0500

It was 75 here this afternoon. I've got a slew of things blooming, some that aren't due until April. Storms are predicted for tonight - not unusual for spring in the south. We've had some wild swings this winter, from 70 to 20 in a day- hard on the plants- but I can't do a thing about it, so I enjoy what is.

It's been so warm this winter that I'm still picking broccoli side shoots from a fall planting. Bloomers today include Quince, Forsythia, Hellebores, hundreds of daffs, Crocus, candytuft, Hyacinths, Vinca major, snowdrops, Chimonanthus praecox, Loropetalum! Osmanthus fragrans, Mahonia, Lonicera fragrantissima, Hamamelis virginiana and probably a few things I've forgotten. Quite a change from last year.

If your soil is warm enough, plant the peas. If not, wait a bit. What have you got to lose besides a few seeds?