Re: Old vs. New
  • Subject: Re: Old vs. New
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:11:20 -0500 (EST)

I'm posting this to Gardenchat since it might become an interesting
discussion point suitable for gardenchat ....no?
I found the article very interesting.....unlike Kitty, I didn't get that
strong vibe of younger men vs. middle age women type thing.  Yes there was
that between the writer and the guy that posted the tweet, however,  gender
and age differences aside.......what I found interesting was how  gardeners
have taken up "camps".   This is something that I have found  here in
Texas....and was surprised to read was happening in other regions as  well.
Perhaps this has always been the case, I don't know.  I'm  sure since the 60's
there have been those that use chemicals, those that are  totally organic,
and those in the middle.  Unlike was stated, I don't find  that the young are
more organic than the older gardeners.  I do wonder if,  as the article
questioned, if it is along political lines.......with the  organics and natives
anyway.   Are those on the right less  concerned about environment, using
more chemicals, having lawns, etc. and those  on the left more organic,
native, etc.???  And as Kitty says, as we get  older, less energetic......go with
whatever works best and is easiest?  I  do remember in my earlier gardening
years trying very hard to only  garden one way or the other (totally
organic, totally native), less  compromising, and found that it was far too much
I don't see sparks fly between the organic and non-organic groups as much
as I do between the native purists and the rest of the gardening population,
 including commercial, govt, etc.   I did find it very interesting that
there was mention of areas in the subdivisions being natural and native,  and
others that were more manicured and tailored.  One thing that I've  found
here is that the Home Owners Associations frown heavily on native or
natural....especially when it is not what they would consider  maintained.   Neither
of which will even consider a compromise, thus  never resolving anything.
The native folks can't fathom that a  native could be considered an
invasive, simply because it is native......and the  HOA's can't fathom the thought
that not all natives are weedy.    Again, I stand somewhere in the
middle.....and successfully have a mixture of  both native and non-native  (all
non-invasive)  with no complaints  from the HOA, but plenty from my purist
Among gardening clubs, MG's, societies, etc. here, for a time being (in the
 80s, I was told) many of the groups were dying out due to the fact that
all the  members were older, and no new blood (so to speak) was coming in.
The  majority of the members were those that had been members for many many
years.  This is still true for one or two.  Gardening groups in  general were
considered social, rather than interest groups.   However, it seems that
since the Internet, there has been a renewed  interest, dismissing the stigma
that plants and gardening are only for the  old, and a change in societies
(anyway) toward being interest groups with  furthering education rather than
social.   Most groups  (especially the individual plant societies)  have
seen more young  members in their late teens and twenties (apartment dwellers)
become  interested and joining.   I do notice that the younger generation
tends to specialize more, I did too, having a cactus collection as  early as
I can remember,  thinking that vegetable and flower gardening  was boring,
done by the "older generation".   Still no  increase in members in the child
rearing age group, unless they  are childless.   The greatest numbers are
those in ages 40 and up,  with many new members. I find that among the
Societes that men tend to  specialize more than women.  Women tend to enjoy
different types of  gardening (plants) more or less equally.  Men on the other
hand, tend  to pick one or two, and stick with that almost exclusively.   Also I
 find that in garden clubs most members are female, however among  the
specific plant societies, roughly half of the members are  men.  In the local
chapters of the Cactus & Succulent Society  and the Bonsai Society the
majority are men.
 I have noticed the resurgence of vegetable  and edible gardening in recent
years.....especially among the  survivalists groups, could be along
political lines or economics there too,  perhaps.   I don't think it is gender or
age specific to garden for  food, beauty, etc. however it tends to be those
with homes that do so  more.  Except that there are trends, and that the
trend (here anyway)  to plant rows and rows of annuals every season vs. a more
natural look (with  perennials instead) to be outdated, and seldom seen
anymore. Economics and  climate has had a lot to do with that, and the increase
in rain gardens and  sustainable gardening as well, in Texas.    Not everyone
has  the same amount of space, time, interest level, addiction, or passion
regardless of gender/age.....but among the die hard  gardeners.......
although one might become less energetic, I find that  the passion is the last to
fade away.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 2/28/2012 8:02:08 PM Central Standard Time,