Re: Texas Magazine article
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Texas Magazine article
  • From: aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:11:04 -0500 (EST)

I have struggled with deer for years, and have had off-and-on success with
several approaches.  As for planting things they don't eat -that's all well
and
good except that there always comes a year when they eat everything they
never touched before.  Four years ago they ate my Ruta graveolens (Rue) and
Artemisia plants, which they had never eaten before.  The only thing that I
grow that they only nibble is the perennial yellow foxglove, Digitalis
ambigua,
which grows like a weed in my yard, but I love it.

However, for the past three years I have had almost total success by spraying
almost weekly with Liquid Fence, which is essentially coyote urine.  It's a
nuisance, and also expensive, but so far it has worked for me.  But then when
we used to spray with a mixture of raw eggs and pepper sauce, it worked for
a while, but then one day we saw them licking it off the treetrunk where it
had
been sprayed,

Good luck with whatever you try.

Auralie

That is part of the problem Bonnie. The HOA says only metal open bar
ence no taller than 4 feet. We have a natural cliff in the back down to
 pond. it would be a 10' jump to get in so I think we could keep them
ut there but not at sides of house.
I'm trying to only plant things they don't like for now.

atricia Dickson
22 Olympic Drive
ockport, Tx 78382
80-302-0042