Re: Deer repellent
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Deer repellent
  • From: aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 09:55:32 -0500 (EST)

Carolyn, I tried Bobbex several years ago and the deer didn't seem to mind
it at all.  Couldn't tell that it made any difference.  Liquid Fence says it
doesn't
need to be reapplied after rain, but it does say new growth shouldl be
treated.

A local landscaper told me she uses it weekly for some of her customers
with good results, and so far - knock on wood - it has worked for me for the
last two years.

I think I have tried everything I've ever seen recommended, and most of them
don't work more than a week or two, if that.  I've tried planting all those
deer-repellent plants, and most of them have been eaten down as if they
were candy.  As I mentioned before the only things they reliably don't eat
are Rue and the yellow perennial foxglove.  They don't bother the Pachysandra
much either.

My vegetable garden has an eight-foot-high fence around it which effectively
keeps out the deer, but although it is buried a couple of feet below the
ground, something - probably groundhogs - keep managing to get in and
devastate my vegetables.  Had better luck last year than some recent
years, so maybe I can grow beans and lettuces again.  The fence will
need significant repairs, since the heavy snow on the Sweet Autumn
Clematis that ran along some twenty-five feet of the top of it has caused
the collapse of the back half.  Oh well.  It's supposed to be cold again
for the coming week, so I'm glad we still have some snow-cover after
the weekend's thaws.

Auralie

Auralie, the only product I have found to keep the deer at bay is
Bobbex. We have deer in the garden every day. In the summer I add the
scare crow at night which I move around. Bobbex does not need to be
reapplied after rain.

Ceres (Carolyn)

Sent from my iPad