Re: trains in the garden/birds

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] trains in the garden/birds
  • From: "Bonnie M. Holmes" holmesbm@usit.net
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 08:26:02 -0500

Also saw the WSJ article.  I don't fill my feeders during the warmer
weather when insects are out...feed during the winter, after some
frosts.  I am wondering if that will help with the problem...the birds have
to rely on nature during 3/4 of the year...I have tried to include some
native plants that provide food for birds and butterflies.  The article
also pointed out that predators (cats and hawks, for example) use the
feeders as a stakeout for birds.  Also, that since many feeders are near
buildings, birds often fly into buildings, killing or incapacitating
themselves.  So far, I have not seen the cats very successful...don't know
about the hawks...my feeders are under some canopies so the smaller birds
have more cover.  Any thoughts?

Bonnie 6+ ETN