From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of cathy carpenter
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 2:31 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs and spices and greed

Of course the public is not entirely blameless in all this. Everyone
seems to want an "instant solution/cure" for everything - preferably one
that requires no effort on their part. What easier than to just "take a
pill"? There is unbelievable pressure from the patient population (aided
and abetted by pharmaceutical company direct marketing) to prescribe
medication (sometimes by brand name). These folks do not want to hear
about non drug alternatives. Some insist on antibiotics in situations
where a bacterium is not the causative agent. And if the doctor doesn't
prescribe what is requested? They simply find someone who will. As (I
think) Pogo said "We have met the enemy, and they are us."