RE: herbs and spices; OT

 Josh:  From what I can find in my reference books, herbs are obtained from " any flowering plant whose stem above ground does not become woody and persistent" and a spice is "any of a class of pungent or aromatic substances of vegetable origin, as pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and the like "  Both are used, of course, for a variety of medicinal, culinary, household, and assorted other uses.  These are the dictionary definitions from my Webster's unabridged dictionary and are in tandem with what I've seen in my cookbooks.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Sun 12/29, Josh Haskell < haskell@ncweb.com > wrote:From: Josh Haskell [mailto: haskell@ncweb.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:50:07 -0500Subject: [CHAT] herbs and spices; OTI know there are several culinary masters on the list.  Can anyone explain thedistinction between herbs and spices?