Re: "Infecting oak trees"

midst all the festivities, i guess i didn't answer you, mariana. sorry. at the nursery, we have probably 3,000 container-grown live oaks. one gallon to 65 gallon [and up] size. we probably sell 500 30 gallon and up a year. my idea is that a 65-gallon, 3" caliper live oak with a native orchid on it is easier to sell [and will command more money] than a similar tree without the orchid. many, many of our oaks are used to meet environmental requirements on commercial properties. but a large number of them are also used to meet those same environmental requirements in tract home landscapes. and my suggestion is that many of the folks from up north, who have to buy a 65-gallon live oak no matter what for their new retirement tract home, would pony up a few extra dollars for one with a native orchid on it.

i know i would.

At 11:47 AM 12/31/02, you wrote:
To: gardenchat@hort.net
From: jim singer <jsinger@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:25:50 -0500

one of my personal missions is to infect as many live oaks as i can with the native orchid i discovered a couple of years ago. it's a beautiful flower that does no harm to its host, and--from the nursery's point of view--adds value to the oak trees.<<

Jim, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by your last statement about value added to the oak tree. Can you expand on this a bit?

Thank you,
NYC Brooklyn, Zone 6b