Re: Things to see, places to stay on Oahu, roaches

Almost all homes in Hawai'i are single wall construction (most with neither heat nor AC) and when you live there you get used to the cockroaches. Of course if I saw one it was DEAD! I even tolerated the geckos in the house, because I figured anything that might eat cockroaches couldn't be all bad. However, you also learned to recognize that if they were big, they were refugees from outside, and if they were small, they were breeding in your house and you had a problem (ie. call the exterminator!). I received for Christmas one year a book called "The Cockroach Combat Manual" that told me more than anyone would ever want to know about the beasts. They have even made their way into local vernacular: to "cockaroach" means to steal. Now, let me tell you about the centipedes: somewhere between 6 - 12 inches long and impervious to any insecticide available to the general public - they literally have to be beaten to death.