RE: Harry Potter Garden--OT Books and the imagination.

Andrea, almost anything that preserves the imagination in a child is
worthwhile I think.  By the time our children and grandchildren were 3 or 4
years old, they knew the difference between "reality" and "make believe."
They also were greatly encouraged to live with their feet in reality but to
use their imaginations to their greatest potentials.  Books and "fun"
educational projects, trips, stories, etc. all foster that in children.

Too soon the educational system of many areas  try to make the children all
fit a neat manageable mold that will be easy for the school system to
handle.  They teach to the median and those that are slower (at least on the
fringe) are left behind and those that are faster (and hence behavior
problems many times because they are bored stiff) are also left behind.

Childhood is so short!  It is like an annual that sprouts, flower and fruits
for a short time and then withers under the strain of impending adulthood.
Too bad, too.

Maybe you can help with imaginative garden projects when you have contact
with your niece.  Make believe garden fairies can be made from many
materials and would nicely decorate garden and garden pots!  LOL!!!

Blessings,

Bonnie