From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Linda L Wallpe
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 5:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Harry Potter Garden

Danielle,

When our 2 sons were at home, the small backyard  (one end dirt and
vegetation and the other end blacktop) was devoted to a basketball net
and automobiles.  They could be so wild chasing balls that I would never
have planted anything back there and risk the trampling.   The
basketball
stanchion had been turned into a place to hang various bird feeders and
was rusting.  It had become an overgrown pit , and something had to be
done.

Then I read the Harry Potter books and an idea was born.  It started
with the word Diagon Alley.  I realized that the path was on a diagonal
from one end to the other.  Are you as taken with this series of books
as I am?  The word play!

The basketball stanchion became the quidditch goal.  I painted a
ball-shaped finch feeder metallic gold as a Snitch ball.  Empty 2 liter
soda bottle feeders became Bludgers.  I tied an old wood broom to the
upright.

There are 4 big, black compost bins in a row.  On a Xerox machine I blew
up the shield symbols and names of the 4 Hogwart houses, put them on
contact paper and plastered one on the front of each bin.

I bought a tall, skinny, ornamental metal etagere with shelves to use as
an Owlery.  I weighted the bottom with a large rock and each shelf now
sports an ornamental owl.  (Over the years 4-5 had accumulated: metal,
ceramic).

I grow a lot of daffodils (Narcissus is Malfoy's mothers name) and the
strangest division are the split coronas so one bed got those.  There
really aren't many plants yet that sport Harry Potter names but I'm on
the lookout!  A breeder in Latvia has named a variety 'Harijs Poters'
that is to be ordered this next year.  That's Harry Potter in Latvian.
I hear that a New Zealand grower is also working this thread.

One end of the garden is very shady from the neighbors maple trees.  I
thought tricyrtis sounded strange enuf so I planted a half-dozen
varieties and some large hostas there.   I put in a couple sumac trees
and some large, bold red, orange and yellow daylilies.  One corner
sports 3 hydrangeas: pink, blue and white.  This year I want to find a
large goblet shaped container and plant it with blood grass.

Children quickly discover this area when they visit.  One little boy
announced that 'you need a train'.  I see on the Lego Website that they
have a 'Harry Potter' train but that it doesn't run on a Lego track.
I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of  trains but would be
interested to know if it could be used outdoors and what kind of track
one would run on!

I hope this gives you a picture of what's back there and not more than
you wanted to know!

Linda Wallpe

<<<<From: "Danielle Lavin" <danirlavin@hotmail.com>
Subject: [CHAT] hp garden - Linda

I just have to ask you Linda, what was in your Harry Potter
garden??????????????>>> Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com