Re: herbs > antibiotics/pesticides

Let's examine some of the reasons farmers use pesticides and antibiotics
in the first place...namely that consumers who buy their products (i.e.
Mr/Ms/Mrs. Smith who go grocery shopping every day) don't want to find
meal bugs in their cereal or worms on thier fruits/vegetables...no, they
want all of their food to appear perfectly ripe, with no hint whatsoever
of insect infestation. We the consumers demand leaner and leaner cuts of
meat, which is muscle and is not something the average cow is going to
grow much of just standing around in a fenced in field munching on
grass; not to mention the near devastation of Britain's meat industry
over mad cow disease, which is a **virus** not a bacteria!! ...all I'm
saying, in defense of farmers, as I'm doing a Donna and ducking and
running...is that if consumers did not demand the level of perfection in
their foodstuffs that they do, then there wouldn't really be a perceived
need for antibiotics and pesticides, now would there? Also, has anyone
heard of yellow rice? It is genetically engineered rice that is rich in
Vitamin A and is saving the sight of millions of 3rd world persons
around the world!! Not all of this science is bad stuff.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Tue 12/31, David Franzman <
dfranzma@pacbell.net > wrote:From: David Franzman [mailto:
dfranzma@pacbell.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Tue, 31 Dec 2002
14:02:39 -0800Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs > antibiotics/pesticidesYou're
right but germs aren't the only things. We're also breeding superinsects
that are immune to pesticides. Must be nice to be in thepetro-chemical
field.DFMargaret Lauterbach wrote:> Yes, it is amazing. What's more,
the more exposure we have to antibiotics,> the less effective they
are. We're breeding supergerms that aren't> affected by antibiotics.
I've heard that nurses who work with IVs a lot> are immune to the
effects of most antibiotics because every time they spike> a bag,
they get a whiff of it. Margaret L>> >Margaret,> >It's
amazing what they can get away with isn't it?> >> >So now
you say they're being sprayed on crops. I have a tough time>
>grasping how such wanton abuse of antibiotics is justified.>
>> >Kitty>>
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage