Re: Things to see, places to stay on Oahu, roaches

Absolutely!!
Cathy
On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Kitty Morrissy wrote:

There is somrthing to be said for zone 5 where nasties don't get that big.

[Original Message]
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 1/1/2003 5:26:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Things to see, places to stay on Oahu, roaches

Almost all homes in Hawai'i are single wall construction (most with
neither heat nor AC) and when you live there you get used to the
cockroaches. Of course if I saw one it was DEAD! I even tolerated the
geckos in the house, because I figured anything that might eat
cockroaches couldn't be all bad. However, you also learned to recognize
that if they were big, they were refugees from outside, and if they were
small, they were breeding in your house and you had a problem (ie. call
the exterminator!). I received for Christmas one year a book called "The
Cockroach Combat Manual" that told me more than anyone would ever want
to know about the beasts. They have even made their way into local
vernacular: to "cockaroach" means to steal. Now, let me tell you about
the centipedes: somewhere between 6 - 12 inches long and impervious to
any insecticide available to the general public - they literally have to
be beaten to death.
Cathy