Re: Things to see, places to stay on Oahu, roaches

Roaches. I just wish the geckos got big enough to handle the really big roaches.
Cathy
On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 10:28 AM, Peggy Elliott wrote:

I used to live in Chicago, and I'll bet she means roaches.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Things to see, places to stay on Oahu, roaches

Cathy, cockroaches are not native to Hawaii but are the centipedes? Also
when you said:

However, you also learned to recognize that if they were big, they were
refugees from outside, and if they were small, they were breeding in your
house and you had a problem

Were you talking about the roaches or geckos?

DF

cathy carpenter wrote:

Almost all homes in Hawai'i are single wall construction (most with
neither heat nor AC) and when you live there you get used to the
cockroaches. Of course if I saw one it was DEAD! I even tolerated the
geckos in the house, because I figured anything that might eat
cockroaches couldn't be all bad. (ie. call
the exterminator!). I received for Christmas one year a book called "The
Cockroach Combat Manual" that told me more than anyone would ever want
to know about the beasts. They have even made their way into local
vernacular: to "cockaroach" means to steal. Now, let me tell you about
the centipedes: somewhere between 6 - 12 inches long and impervious to
any insecticide available to the general public - they literally have to
be beaten to death.
Cathy