Re: herbs > antibiotics/pesticides

yes. and then fred and annie will get together at their local farm bureau and decide to lobby for a commodity board that will decide rules for the salability of the products they grow. john dow will support this effort with the common legal bribes of our political system, campaign contributions. if fred and annie grow apples, john's bribery will result in an apple board, which will rule that apples must be free of the blemishes that john dow's chemicals prevent before they can be sold in interstate commerce.

welcome to free enterprise 101.

At 06:43 PM 1/2/03, you wrote:
Doing a Donna?  chuckle....

> ...is that if consumers did not demand the level of perfection in
> their foodstuffs that they do, then there wouldn't really be a perceived
> need for antibiotics and pesticides, now would there?

Melody,
It's true people want the best available, but if perfection weren't
available, they'd take the best they could get.  Let's say pesticides
haven't been used yet and people are accepting of less than perfect veggies
because they've not seen better. John Dow invents an insecticide and tells
Fred Farmer he can sell more than his neighbors if he uses Dow's chemical.
And he does.  Annie Aggie down the road can't get much for her crop because
it's blemished, so she asks Fred to hook her up with John.
It's money, Melody, not the consumer.

Kitty