From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Melody
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 7:52 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs > antibiotics

The absolute worst offenders with antibiotics are consumers and
practitioners who demand and allow treatment for viral illnesses such as
the common cold with antibiotics that are meant only for bacterial
illnesses. What do you suppose we are doing to ourselves with
antibacterial handsoaps, lotions, plastics, sponges, dish detergents,
toys, etc....Exposing every day germs to antibacterial agents such as
these is insane!!! The human body is a host to multitudes of bacterial
strains that are supposed to be there! Killing them off-- this is what
allows supergerms to breed. That and the fact that most people who are
prescribed a ten day course of antibiotics only bother to take it for
half of the prescribed ten days...thus killing off only the body's
normal bacteria while allowing the proliferation of the bad bacteria to
become supergerms that take over and cause superinfections. And if
consumers don't want their meats/milks/vegetables/etc. pumped full of
antibiotics then why aren't more people actively pursuing other avenues,
including lobbying your local/state/federal legislators to outlaw this?
People like to complain alot about this, but don't really want to get
involved personally in stopping it...And as far as nurses are
concerned...good handwashing is the key to preventing most of their
troubles with bacteria but fully 70% of nurse's wedding bands/rings are
infected with strains of germs that could cause serious problems for
thier patients because they fail to do it well enough...And I can't
speak for other nurses, but I always keep my face well away from any IV
bag I'm spiking just on principle!!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Tue 12/31, Margaret Lauterbach <
melauter@earthlink.net > wrote:From: Margaret Lauterbach [mailto:
melauter@earthlink.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Tue, 31 Dec 2002
14:34:22 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs > antibioticsYes, it is amazing.
What's more, the more exposure we have to antibiotics, the less
effective they are. We're breeding supergerms that aren't affected by
antibiotics. I've heard that nurses who work with IVs a lot are immune
to the effects of most antibiotics because every time they spike a bag,
they get a whiff of it. Margaret L>Margaret,>It's amazing what
they can get away with isn't it?>>So now you say they're being
sprayed on crops. I have a tough time>grasping how such wanton abuse
of antibiotics is