Re: herbs > antibiotics

justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> Donna
> Do I need to duck and run... na...

No Donna, you have me for a friend.

I cannot keep up with the flow of messages but have looked in on this thread
a bit.

Age will influence your thoughts here.  Those of us who remember the era
prior to antibiotics or have studied it will not be as quick to generalize.
My grandmother had a tooth pulled, got a fever and died in four days.
Totally healthy woman with a passel of kids and a bunch of energy.  A fact
here, a fact there but on balance you would not elect to condemn antibiotics.

On general use of scripts plus some really useful OTC products.  If you need
the medication your viewpoint will differ considerably from a healthy
individual reading bad press on drug companies.  Since a national health
service is in place in every country except ours (South Africa caved in),
this service regulates the cost of drugs in it's respective country.  Free
enterprise, a very debatable subject in the health field, brings you $100.00
statins (more or less per month) which keep a lot of people alive. That is
one example of a newer med that is worthy and may have kept my father alive
had it been around when he departed his garden.  He may have had some trouble
paying for them and that is the true question, not existence of statins.

It is my background, admittedly, but over more years than I care to remember
statistics show we live longer and more comfortably in the last decades with
drug therapy.  There are other factors, hygiene, pure water, etc.  But when
the chips are down, scripts are a "good thing."  I do not work for a drug
company, never did.

If we decide to love our fellow man and then decide as every small and large
country on this planet has, that health care is a right and not a privilege,
Rx will fall into a place we can accept.

Claire Peplowski