Re: show of hands re: health care

Melody - I know exactly how you feel. My first nursing
job was wonderful, I loved going to work. We had
plenty of supportive staff and I had time to actually
sit for a while to talk AND listen to the
patients...get to know them, their fears/concerns, and
touch them in a caring way. By the time I retired, I
was the ONLY nurse on an adolescent psych unit with
ONE psych tech for help...the two of us ran the unit.
I did all the admissions and I also did the unit
secretary's job because we had none. I also passed all
the meds. I was SO busy, the only time I had to
interact with the kids was while I passed meds. I was
up to my you know what in paper work!

The MD's would keep the kids in the hospital up until
the day their insurance ran out, then discharge them.
Many MD's would tell me..."make sure you chart that
they have improved for discharge."  GRrrr! When I felt
they did not improve, I wrote.."discharged upon
physicians request." EVERYTHING was dictated for
insurances purposes!! Towards the end of my career I
was so sick and tired of hearing..."it's not cost
effective!" No wonder there's a critical shortage of
nurses today, and it's getting worse.

Melody, have you heard anything about your book?
Perhaps you can "get out" if that materializes?
Good Luck!