Re: Questions...nursery, ornamec, and lenten rose

Bonnie, I join others in highly recommending Plant Delights.  Tony
Avent is a helluva plantsman - I think it is safe to say one of the
foremost in the country right now (not to mention with the most
outrageous sense of humor); his plants are large and well-grown and
if you EVER have the opportunity to go to Raleigh for one of their
open houses, drop everything and do it.  What Tony has done with his
Juniper Level Botanic Gardens is simply amazing...the nursery exists
to support the gardens and their plant trials.  His goal is to grow
every plant that can be grown in his climate and he's well on the
way:-)

Hellebores are marvelous plants - I am well and truly addicted at
this point. I find they are like potato chips; you cannot have just
one.

H. x hybridus (orientalis) cultivars will, indeed, tolerate dry
conditions once established - they make massive root systems.  You
will need to provide supplemental water for at least the first
growing season.

These are shade tolerant plants but do not *require* shade.  As Gene
says, H. foetidus is really drought tolerant - actually demands very
good drainage and really prefers some sun, even in my climate.  I
love my H. f. 'Wester Flisk'...this is a species that seeds around
quite a bit if suited, so you always have some to give away or grow
on - I don't find H. foetidus as long-lived as the  H. x hybridus
cultivars.  'Wester Flisk' has the most magnificent foliage that
turns nearly black in winter and is the first to bloom for me...love
that plant!

IMO, the shady garden cannot have too many hellebores!  I will do
some horn tooting here and point you to a series of articles I wrote
on the genus a few years ago, which will explain to you the
difference between the caulescent and acaulescent types and provide
you with lots of pix of assorted species and the incredible color
ranges that Graham Birkin breeds.  I was just a beginner with them
when I wrote this series, but doing so turned the tide....I now have
dozens of assorted ones in the garden and hundreds of seedlings
coming along:-) Soon (hopefully) to be awash in hellebores...

Here's the URL to the first one - you can follow on from there:

Sorry, I don't know squat about Ornamec.....

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/17614

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Bonnie M. Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net>
>
> I have three questions for the experts:
>     * What is your experience with Plant Delights Nursery, Raleigh,
NC?  I
> received a very interesting catalog yesterday...since they are
located in
> my general region, I was thinking that many of their plants might
work well
> for me.
>     * Atlanta Journal, Home & Garden, January 2, 2003, Weekend
Gardener,