Re: show of hands re: health care

Evelyn: You know the ANA has documentation that technically there is no
shortage of nurses--just a shortage of nurses who want to work as nurses
and I can fully believe it. What other profession do you know of where
fully 40% of the workers leave their profession at least once during
their career to pursue other employment? I haven't heard anything yet
from the publisher...checking my mailbox every day...and keeping my
fingers crossed and thinking only good thoughts...will let you all know
when I hear from them! Thanks for asking!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Fri 01/03, Evelyn Ford wrote:From: Evelyn Ford
[mailto: eafrn1@yahoo.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 3 Jan 2003
03:45:11 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [CHAT] show of hands re: health
careMelody - I know exactly how you feel. My first nursingjob was
wonderful, I loved going to work. We hadplenty of supportive staff and I
had time to actuallysit for a while to talk AND listen to
thepatients...get to know them, their fears/concerns, andtouch them in a
caring way. By the time I retired, Iwas the ONLY nurse on an adolescent
psych unit withONE psych tech for help...the two of us ran the unit.I
did all the admissions and I also did the unitsecretary's job because we
had none. I also passed allthe meds. I was SO busy, the only time I had
tointeract with the kids was while I passed meds. I wasup to my you know
what in paper work!The MD's would keep the kids in the hospital up
untilthe day their insurance ran out, then discharge them.Many MD's
would tell me..."make sure you chart thatthey have improved for
discharge." GRrrr! When I feltthey did not improve, I wrote.."discharged
uponphysicians request." EVERYTHING was dictated forinsurances
purposes!! Towards the end of my career Iwas so sick and tired of
hearing..."it's not costeffective!" No wonder there's a critical
shortage ofnurses today, and it's getting worse.Melody, have you heard
anything about your book?Perhaps you can "get out" if that
materializes?Good Luck!Evelyn--- Melody wrote:> Jim: Obviously I am
involved in health care...My big> dilemma is how do I> get out? Nursing
might not be the highest paying> profession around but> it does pay the
mortgage and the bills. I'd give> just about anything to> get out,
though...never could have imagined being in> a job this long> that I
would come to dislike this intensely because> of all the changes> health
care has gone through in the past decade...> Melody, IA (Z
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net w

ith themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT