RE: show of hands re: health care

Theresa: Currently, our union, Service Employees International, is
helping us to get legislation passed in Iowa that will help to legally
mandate patient to staff ratios in very clear terminology...we are very
excited about this but have little hope as the chairman of the committee
that decides whether or not this bill lives or dies is a hospital
administrator and the leader of our state senate is an health care
insurance executive...the bill died in committee last year but we are
going to present it again...of course, last year the day after nurses
lobbied in support of this bill (I was there, it was so exciting!) 500
hospital and nursing home administrators showed up to lobby against the
bill! Funny how that poor little bill died the day after they were
there...shows you where the power lies in our state, doesn't it? But we
will persist and just as we got safe needle legislation passed, we will
prevail with staffing issues, too! The nurses in California (many of
whom are SEIU members, too) are a great source of inspiration to us here
in Iowa.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Fri 01/03, Theresa- yahoo wrote:From: Theresa-
yahoo [mailto: tchessie@yahoo.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 3
Jan 2003 15:41:05 -0800Subject: RE: [CHAT] show of hands re: health
careI have been following this with some interest- as I also am in the
healthcare field and love my job. Interesting- nurses in California have
beenincredibly successful in the past few years of marketing their value
andhelping to dictate patient to nurse ratios. There is currently a
majornursing shortage in this state and pretty much anyone who is an RN
or higherand get hired and have significant say over their position. I
recentlyhired a nurse ( after convincing her she didn't want to retire)
and amabsolutely delighted to have her skills in my clinic. She has told
meseveral time how happy she is working with us too.Theresa-----Original
Message-----From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]OnBehalf Of cathy carpenterSent:
Friday, January 03, 2003 10:29 AMTo: gardenchat@hort.netSubject: Re:
[CHAT] show of hands re: health careThere is nothing wrong with being
"cost effective" - we all want thebest quality for our dollar. The key
is in defining what that means.Unfortunately, nursing has never been
successful in marketing our valueto a society that, despite lip service,
does not value caring, does notvalue the observational and hands on
skills of the nurse.CathyOn Friday, January 3, 2003, at 05:45 AM, Evelyn
Ford wrote:> Melody - I know exactly how you feel. My first nursing> job
was wonderful, I loved going to work. We had> plenty of supportive staff
and I had time to actually> sit for a while to talk AND listen to the>
patients...get to know them, their fears/concerns, and> touch them in a
caring way. By the time I retired, I> was the ONLY nurse on an
adolescent psych unit with> ONE psych tech for help...the two of us ran
the unit.> Towards the end of my career I> was so sick and tired of
hearing..."it's not cost> effective!" No wonder there's a critical
shortage of> nurses to

day, and it's getting worse.>> Melody, have you heard anything about
your book?> Perhaps you can "get out" if that materializes?> Good
Luck!>> Evelyn>> --- Melody wrote:>> Jim: Obviously I am involved in
health care...My big>> dilemma is how do I>> get out? Nursing might not
be the highest paying>> profession around but>> it does pay the mortgage
and the bills. I'd give>> just about anything to>> get out,
though...never could have imagined being in>> a job this long>> that I
would come to dislike this intensely because>> of all the changes>>
health care has gone through in the past decade...>> Melody, IA (Z
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com